29 April 2007

Auld Lang Syne

i woke up today, early in the morning
to go for my granny's funeral procession.
the little prick in my heart has subsided,
it was just a formality to me.

you might say, i was being unfeeling and cold,
but if you consider the fact that i don't really know her,
you'd understand that the prick in my heart before,
is already amazing enough.

i went through a couple of rites,
and kneeling on my already sore knees,
after which, the sons and grandsons,
we were sitted beside the dreaded coffin which layed my granny,
i watched her alot, so hoping she'd wake up,
and flash that unforgotten smile.
but she never did.

today as her friends came to pray,
the family, we had to sit by her coffin,
the coffin made of rosewood
with such delicate handiwork and handles plated with gold,
when suddenly, the band broke into the melodious overture,
Auld Lang Syne.

it sets the mood so right, but i could ignore it.
when one of her friends walked in,
saw my granny in the coffin,
she broke in to an endless stream of tears,
she started wailing and her tears couldn't stop.
her friend, was as old as she was,
frial as she looked, the friend nearly fell.

as i saw all that happened, i felt something,
something in my previously cold heart,
i too, wanted to let my tears flow.
looking around, i realised that because of the emotional show,
many of my family members too wanted to cry.

but the pact we made, to send my granny off,
without the tears so that her soul could rest,
was not to be broken.
the tune of Auld Lang Syne ended,
and we had to go through yet another ritual.
that's when i realised, i would never again,
see that smile i never forgotten, through the years....

No comments: